Some words of wisdom quoted from The Tao of Travel by Paul Theroux.
Murphy’s Rules of Travel:
- Choose your country, use guidebooks to identify the areas most frequented by foreigners—and then go in the opposite direction.
- Mug up on history.
- To travel in ignorance of a region’s history leaves you unable to understand the “why” of anything or anyone.
- Don’t overplan.
- It is important to travel light. At least 75 percent of the equipment sold nowadays in camping shops—travel clothesline, roll-up camping mats, lightweight hair dryers—is superfluous.
- Cyberspace intercourse vitiates genuine escapism.
- Don’t be inhibited by the language barrier.
- Be cautious—but not timid.
- Invest in the best available maps.