History of 경복궁 (Gyeongbokgung)
In 1395, three years after the founding of the Joseon Dynasty by Yi Seong-gye, the new main palace, Gyeongbokgung, was completed and the capital of the new dynasty was moved from Gaegyeong to Seoul (then known as Hanyang). The palace was destroyed by fire during the Japanese invasions of 1592 and was not reconstructed until 1868, the fifth year of King Gojong. During the Japanese occupation, most of the palace was torn down; only a few buildings including Gyeonghoeru Pavilion and Geunjeongjeon Hall were left standing. An effort to fully restore Gyeongbokgung to its former glory has been ongoing since 1990. The colonial Government-General building was removed, making way for the full restoration of Heungryemun Gate to its original state. The royal quarters and the East residence for the crown prince were also restored to their original state.
Source: Information taken from the back of the admission ticket.